That currently being reported, if you happen to be wanting to decide on up a new “off-road only” effectiveness aspect, eBay possible will not be your go-to web-site for substantially for a longer time. The e-commerce large has quietly banned the sale of emission defeat devices in quite a few forms, which includes handheld tuners, take a look at pipes, oxygen sensor spacers, or other solutions built to strengthen the efficiency of a car when also defeating specified emission controls.
The banning of these styles of efficiency products and solutions was recently observed by Road and Keep track of following a user in an automotive Facebook group described that they had been not able to listing a Hondata tuner for sale on eBay. When attempting to list the tuner for sale, the person was reportedly met with an error informing them that it was a prohibited merchandise.
“eBay is not now letting any tuners, no matter of performance, in buy to guarantee compliance with our policy prohibiting defeat equipment,” Read the mistake received by the consumer, “Be sure to do not relist.”
As it turns out, hardware and software tuners have been quietly banned under eBay’s limited things plan. It truly is not instantly apparent when this policy went into effect, on the other hand, it would surface that this is a reasonably new addition to the firm’s public listing guidelines. An eBay spokesperson later verified the banning of these products to R&T.
“Items that bypass, defeat or render inoperative emission-handle units aren’t allowed, both on their individual or when merged with other components or program,” reads eBay’s policy on prohibited objects. The plan formally prohibits the subsequent products from becoming offered on its platform:
- Tuners, expert services, software or units that modify the functionality of autos, these types of as cars, vehicles and off-road cars
- Aftermarket standalone (non-OEM) digital command device (European), such as full digital gas injection (EFI) conversion kits
- Powertrain or exhaust pieces intended for “race only” or “off-road only”
- Lively fuel administration/Dynamic fuel management or automobile start-end disablers
- Blocking plates for emission command programs
- Products and solutions that remove manufacturing unit catalytic converters (CAT) or diesel particulate filters (DPF), selective catalytic reduction (SCR) and diesel exhaust fluid (DEF)
- Throttle response controllers
- Exhaust servo eliminators
- Units meant to bypass or minimize flow to oxygen sensors
I checked at the time of crafting and did locate a handful of products and solutions which would seemingly violate the listing guidelines (like Hondata tuners, old Apexi SAFCs, start out-prevent disablers, and catless downpipes), but had a tough time discovering O2 sensor spacers, Cobb AccessPorts, and other well known equipment. It truly is attainable that eBay is tuning its enforcement of this coverage, or that certain merchandise are traveling beneath the radar for now.
No matter, the banning of these objects on eBay opens up a doorway with implications at the rear of it that nobody in the automotive scene would like to see. Thankfully, eBay-adjacent payment processor PayPal hasn’t banned these merchandise, this means that people can continue to find solace in recognizing that they can use platforms like Facebook Marketplace and automotive forums to nevertheless acquire and promote these varieties of products and fork out with most peer-to-peer payment applications. Even so, the legality of on-highway use however continues to be a problem—whether or not the EPA arrives cracking down on these objects in the upcoming is nonetheless to be noticed.
Acquired a tip or issue for the author? Contact them directly: [email protected]